Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Ultrasound Results

I went to an OB two weeks ago because I had pain starting again that was all to familiar. I just had that feeling that there was a cyst again. I did my research to find a OB that specialized in PCOS and Endometriosis since I'm near a big city now. I found a few doctors but most weren't taking new patients but I'm glad I found the one I did. After meeting him for the first time two weeks ago I know that we were going to get along. From what I was reporting he decided we were going to start from scratch and figure out a plan of what are the most important things to treat and figure out first. I don't think he really know what he was getting himself in for. The lab work came back normal last week but they didn't give me the ultrasound results and I was sure I knew why. I figured their was a cyst growing. Well today I was in for a little surprise.

One note first. This doctor is ranked #4 in the city and with that ranking he must be extremely good because he is always behind and by behind I mean behind. Last time my appointment was at 2pm and it was shortly before 5 before he came into the room. Today my appointment was at 1:45 and it was 3 before he came into the room.

Well one of his first statements was he wasn't sure where to start. The labs came back normal which was good but he said from their he's not sure where to go and what to do next. So he started talking about my diet that the last clinic put me on. He didn't like it at all. So the plan is to send me to an Endocrinologist to figure out what would be the best diet for me but he's not sure when that should come into play or how soon.

One of the biggest things he was worried about was the ultrasound results. Not only was there a cyst on the right side (this is a first for the right side but it was one of the fear of taking out the left ovary). Also keep in mind that I did 6 months of injections at $800 a pop to prevent cyst and endometriosis from coming back. The injections were one of the last treatments left that I haven't tired to keep this stuff away. They can't see the endometriosis in the ultrasound so we're not sure how bad that is. The cyst is small but with my history and with the past treatments with medications to make them go away we both decided it is over all best to do another laparoscopy to remove the cyst and possible endometriosis. The biggest problem is what is inside the uterus. The lining is extremely thick which is a big concern and with the other problems with not having cycles, not ovulating and other problems I'm not gonna write about the doctor is very very concerned about cancer of the uterus. If it is not caner he is fairly confident that it is pre-cancerous due to my multiple diagnosis increasing my chances.

The question was about what is best to do first. Would it be better for me to see the endocrinologist first to get everything where it should be and start working on things first and then see how the cyst reacts to medications and just do a test to test for cancer which he said is very painful doing in the office. Wait for results and then do the surgery later. Or do both surgeries at once first and get everything taken care of and then see the endocrinologist after that.

We both decided it would be best to start there. I always love it when the doctors tell you that their not sure where to start because there are so many things that need to be worked on. So we're starting here. On Friday I will have surgery to remove the cyst on the right ovary and any possible endometriosis. He is also going to check the right ovary and tube for function. Since I only have the right side, it would make sense to take it all out if the right side would never work as it would give us a start in the right directions instead of spend thousands of dollars in medications trying to save it in the hopes that one day we could maybe try more fertility treatments. (Which he also brought up. He said depend on what he ends up doing and the results of the test for cancer he might want to be referring me soon if we are wanting to do them again. Keep in mind my first appointment we talked about it being way down the road as in a year or two from now and now were talking months. I think the ultrasound really woke him up to how bad it was.) Then next  Wednesday I meet with the Endocrinologist to start working on a diet plan and hormone treatments depending on what they find. So the next two weeks are going to be very overwhelming with information and life changes. Its going to make the 4 weeks until our adoption class go by fast.

I'm just keeping my figures crossed that he is so very wrong and that the ultrasound was wrong and there is no sign or there is no cancer. Either way I know God has a plan and even tho I can't see the big picture now I will see it down the road. Even tho it was hard to hear that it is likely possible that I have cancer in the uterus its not a first. I got told 3 years ago when I lost my vision that it is possible that I had a brain tumor and 9 months ago that I possibly had kidney failure. They have all turned out differently then planned. I think god has been doing some work.

I will update all of you after Friday morning with how the surgery goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment