Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Nutrition Appointment

On Tuesday I meet with Judy Simon a PCOS nutritionist. She was very helpful and informative and willing to meet over Skype or the phone. Judy went through everything that I’ve done in the past what had and had not worked. Went through my current eating and exercise life and went through all medical situations. For those women out there with PCOS I would really have to recommend her. She charges $125 an hour but it is well worth it. She will help you out in between appointments and doesn’t charge. She gives you asses to https://www.nutrihand.com/Nutrihand/myNutrihandMP.do which is a really nice website. If you take the time to enter in your meals, exercise and meds she will look at them every Monday and give you hints, idea’s and things you can do to improve your diet. She will also give you recipe ideas and will answer any questions you have any time. I can’t say enough good things about this lady. She also gave me lots of handout to read and went over what I wanted to work on.


She informed me that my labs showed that I was at high risk for Diabetes but it did not indicate that I had it yet. My fasting glucose level is still high (117) and I need to get it under a 100. She told me that my iron store was a little low but not too bad but she was going to work it into my diet. She told me that she was not able to tell me everything from my labs until I talk with my doctor. So I’m hoping that the rest is good and there was nothing bad.

She put me on a high protein diet and wants me to increase my calorie intake. Right now an average day is 800 to 1000 calories. She wants me to eat an average of 1700 calories a day. I am supposed to eat 30 to 45 grams of carbs a meal and 15 to 30 grams of carbs a snack. She would like me to take an Omega 3 supplement since I won’t eat fish. She would like me to exercise 30 to 60 minutes totally a day with 2 days of resistive exercises, but that will vary depending on my pain level until my surgery.


Some tips for other about what she said…

Eat Oatmeal and Full grain wheat bread
Eat Fruit not Juice
Preferable no soda but if you have to diet soda
Use olive and canola oil when cooking
Eat small portions of nuts
You should eat carbohydrate foods with protein/fat
Example: Apple and Peanut Butter with cheese and whole grain crackers

I also have some hand outs for those who are interested

I meet with her again in a month

Will update later this week after my appointment with my doc about the glucose monitor results

No comments:

Post a Comment